Wednesday, August 12, 2009

This holiday

After reading travel posts written by my boyfriend, many thoughts kept running through my mind. I have always wanted to go on long-distance travel this holiday but due to the many factors involved, I had chosen to stay at home. Three weeks of travelling to the UK and Europe last summer was indeed unbelievably memorable and captivating. Travelling alone during the daytime was really a once-in-a-lifetime experience, yet, at some points in time, I long for company. I long for someone walking beside me, to share and remember this lovely trip. There was a time I really wanted to call up this French guy whom I met on the street and agree to his kind invitation to bring me around. Yet, in order to protect myself, I dropped the idea and continued to travel in a land that I had never explored.

From then, I fell in love with the parks, the weather, the mesmerising musicals, the beautiful countryside and those grand castles where kings and queens once stood. Nature, music and the ancient history had embraced my soul in the day and as I waited for the night, I had the pleasant company of my brother’s friend. For the first time, I navigated the roads alone. For the first time, I got lost in a quiet town alone. For the first time, I climbed up a castle alone. For the first time, I lay in a park alone. For the first time, I fed myself banana for dinner. For the first time, some stranger said that he liked me and tried to hold my hand.

I liked the experience travelling alone but when I was with my brother or his friend, I was much happier. I could smile, shout and share my happiness with them. I couldn’t be doing that alone. I realised I longed for company during my travel and it is with people whom I like, with people whom are really deep in my heart.

Therefore, I didn’t regret not spending time travelling this holiday. The reason is simple, people whom I long to travel with are all busy at work. I missed the time travelling with them due to a mandatory placement I need to attend in June but it is alright as long as I know everybody I love is happy.

This holiday, I have learnt to let go of some things, to accept the limitations and to suppress some of my feelings and fight for the things I want in life. To love is to sacrifice and to compromise. I need to remind myself that I am a big girl now and I hold the responsibility to stay strong and to be able to make judgments all by myself.

Special Thanks for all my love ones who had shaped me to whom I am today. This goes especially to my parents and my dearest brother. Family is the most treasured thing in my life and I hope I can continue this legacy of a strong and loving family.

No comments: