Friday, April 06, 2007

TTSH Farewell



It has been almost two weeks since I left Ttsh Physiotherapy department, a place filled with warmth, joy, fun and love. Till now, I have never regretted starting off as a volunteer and then accepting the chance to become an official staff there. Remembering my first day of work, K showed me around and left me alone and confused with Z, a second years physio student from La Trobe University. Instinctively, I stuck close to him, watching his every move, trying to figure out his every action, thinking that he is really a professional. After finishing with his patients, we finally made a proper introduction to each other. My first impression of him was pretty good; a tall thin man who never fails to explain to me the principles behind all the exercises and the mechanism of our physical body. I was so relieved to have him around, guiding me for the first week or two.

After which, I was the only student volunteering in the physiotherapy outpatient department, this was the time I started to build that special relationship between me and all the therapy assistants and physiotherapists. Dorgus and Alex were my partners in the gym; it was them who taught me to recognize the different exercises written by the PTs who graduated from the different intuitions. The chemistry between the different TAs there can be considered quite complicated, different people is always complaining about the acts of others; making me, the middleman, helpless at times.

The desk in the gym is where I always interact with the PTs, understand them, as well as being entertained and educated by them. H, K and C are three very good brothers of different races, coming together to discuss about setting up a doughnut store. H is particularly playful, C who is always trying to maintain his coolness and K, being my boss, is a serious and sleepy Garfield-looking man. L was always there to teach me the reasoning behind every move, even testing me in times, making my job more challenging and meaningful. SY is always running around the scene, busy with her relentless patients, yet, she never fails to wink at me. ;) I loved her patients the most; they are mostly Cantonese speaking Aunties who never fails to amuse me. GG is another lovely lady who gives lots of advices; she even treated me with ice- cream before the release of my A levels result. There was once where we ate curry fish head together. Next on the list, WC is a soft-spoken gentleman and never fails to be good-humoured at times. Lastly, Ms G, the outpatient department head, was always as strict as she looked. Speaking to us in a really harsh tone is a way she maintained her authority and order around the place.

There is one person that I would specially want to introduce to all of you; she is Aunty Doreen! (The lady shown on the first slide of the video.) She loves talking, yet, one will never find her irritating, her words are filled with humour and her stories never fails to be engaging. She is indeed an impossible person, she held the first steamboat party with ginseng chicken soup in the physiotherapy department. She used the whole week to carry her rice cooker, pot etc. from home to our workplace. Bravo, marvelous, unbelievable!

The last day in Ttsh was definitely unforgettable. L baked me two cakes from home, SY bought me papaya soya milk, GG brought me crabs from patients, Doreen and Joyce treated me lunch and D had Pocky and chips for my dessert. Everyone was as nice as ever. This place has simply left footprints in my heart. The first 3 months here was indeed as unforgettable as my first 3 months in 2005. A big thank you for all that you have taught and given. Remain in my heart always.

(12 April 2007)

No comments: