Monday, February 18, 2008

Standard Chartered Marathon 2008.

Standard Chartered Marathon 2008.

Adventure. I actually met someone from Tunisia. I actually met someone with malaria. I actually seen a fat man collapsed due to chest pain. I actually shake hands with top athletes. I actually won praise from the chairman of Asian Athlete Association. I actually worked with so many doctors. I actually … …

Yesterday was indeed one of the most memorable experiences I have had in my life. I was assigned as an official member of the doping team for the Standard Chartered Marathon 2008. I arrived early and helped the seniors with physiotherapy services before gathering at the doping room for briefing. We were given the following instructions:

The athlete is supposed to arrive at the Doping centre in one hour times after he/she cross the finishing line.

We were supposed to follow the athlete and watch their every single move until their doping test is done.

The athlete is not supposed to receive any drinks or food from anybody; they are to choose their own sealed drinks.

Everyone was nervous after the briefing as we going to meeting international athletes and grabbing hold of them at the finishing line is going to be one hard task. The scene was a complete chaos as we waited for the athlete to cross the crucial line. Helicopters were hovering above us, reporters are blocking our views, supporters are cheering their hearts out, and people were walking around trying to squeeze into the crowd.

We tried to co-ordinate with the other officials at the scene as we organized ourselves into two rows. 6 students from Hong Kong Polytechnic, Physiotherapy and 6 students from Hong Kong Baptist University, Physical Education and Recreation Management stood recklessly as we waited.

My athlete was from Tunisia and she was 5th in the Marathon.

Who believe that she actually have Malaria?

She went dizzy.

She went fatigue. Muscle spasm.She need to be wheeled.

Doping test went hay-wired.

I contacted with millions of people. Steven the in-charge. The chairman of Asain athelete association. The champions of this year marathon. Doctors of all ages. Nurses. Physiotherapists.

I watched an obese man with chest man being put on a portable EMG and given shots after shots. (paraffin & adrenaline)

Ended my day eating banana and sending Fabio William John (my athlete) onto the taxi.

Vistied to Auntie Bonnie. She might need another operation today to remove the fluid accumulated at her diaphragm. This is the third time she would be going to be wheeled into the operation theatre. God Bless.



Our lessons played with toys today.

Photos to be uploaded.

No comments: