Thursday, August 28, 2008

The near future,My dream.

Expectation. It is something that scares me. Yet, it's not my own expectation that scares me so much. It's the expectation of my peers, my teachers and the loved one around me. I hate it when people feel disappointed in me. I know it's not right to live in a world of others but I just can't help it sometimes. Every one of my friends expects me to get on stage for the scholarship award tomorrow, well, I missed it by a GPA score of 0.01 point. I am really quite saddened. Yet, in another way, I felt blessed not getting it. No one could get the best in the world. I am already blessed with a lot of things. I have an excellent parent,loving brother and am financially well-supported. I have great friends and although I am not at the top, I can be considered amongst the top. Not having the award might be a way to balance up my life. Yet, I know I won't cease to strive harder. ^^

I was discussing with Kenneth about my future the other day. It is real saddening to mention that Physiotherapy is not very well-recognized in Singapore and the government is not really cashing in funds to help in the development. Salary can remain stagnant for years and it's an amount that you could never get satisfied with (at least for me). Hong Kong has a starting pay that is even higher than those with 5 years of working experiences in Singapore. All the more, I do not want to mention about other countries here. When I first worked in the hospital, people has warned me that I could enter this career if I wanted to have "job satisfaction" instead of "financial satisfaction". Yet, somewhere in my heart, I deeply believe I can have both.

Many had asked me the reasons for studying in Hong Kong. Firstly, it saves me a lot of studying time and money. If I were to go to Australia, I could only start school half a year later and graduate one year later. This hinders me 2 years of working experiences which is so important in my career. Moreover, it saves a lot in HK compare to studying in Australia or even the UK. Secondly, I could like to study in a Chinese environment. Being in HK, I learn a lot of things in physiotherapy that is cultural and language specific. I was taught to use a lot of medical terms in Chinese which gives me the advantage in talking to patients back in Singapore. The question is, "Why is physiotherapy in Hong Kong a better success than in Singapore?"

Before we goes in pondering about the question, we need to understand the mindset of the general Chinese population. Often, they have the thinking that they should be PASSIVELY receiving treatment when they paid for something. That is the reason for many complaining that physiotherapists are just too expensive (cuz they claim that we juz teach them simple exercises). Sometimes, patients even complain that we are useless when they don't co-operate with the prescription of their exercise regimes. Hong Kong has done a very good job in handling such problems. Many Westerners complaint that we used too much of electrophysical modalities such as Inferential current, Short waves, TENS in our treatments; however, many failed to realise that this is the need of the market in HK and I think, in Singapore too. Having such machines in our treatments give them a psychological effect that they are receiving more "high-class" treatment and that something have been done to them besides following our exercise regime. It has worked. And I believe it has worked successfully.

I believe that many graduates from good physiotherapy schools in Australia, UK or even the US processes excellent manual skills. However, I personally feel that they have failed to consider the whole culture in Singapore. I understand that there are still many patients out there that are real appreciative of us in helping them and that is the reason I am in the job! I love seeing my patients get well and happy each day. Yet, to boost up the reputation and to make the population believe that we are worth the money, "comfortable passive treatment" has to be incorporate more into a Chinese society. It makes us work harder in our job and it's not the optimal treatment for the patients. However, to gain the population's support, is it something that we should consider about?

I plan not to sign a contract with the hospital on my return and work as a hourly paid personal. This gives me a higher paid and the freedom to source for other avenues. If I could get hold of a Pilates or Yoga instructor certification, I am so going into private. Just let time decide my fate, I am just going to work towards what I want for now.

My dream is to have a stable career and family with a lovely hubby and kids. And I would want more time with them if my dream really do come true.

Pilate on Reformer

Yoga
What if I can do that! ^^

I hope one day I could be teaching a class. :D

SPORT MEDICINE
Let your body use its own resources to heal itself and feel better than ever before.
21st Century Pilates is an ANTI-AGING program it delays the passing of time and gravity, your body and overall health will recover the youth and joy that you want.

No comments: