Tuesday, July 17, 2007

In school, I learnt how to palpate for finger bones today. Thinking that I could defintely forget this after a week or two, I decided to take a picture of my own hand in order to keep it in memory always.


For the General Public
Pic on the left: Palmar suface
Pic on the right: Dorsal surface

To paplate for
1) Scaphoid: S
Spot for S on the dorsum - do a radial deviation (move arm to the right) look for the groove below the thumb and feel for a round bone.
Spot for S on the palmar - extend your wrist and feel for a round bone protruding out.

2)Trapezium: TM
Spot for TM on the dorsum - Slide down from your index finger and feel for the first round bone. The bone on the right of the trapezium is the trapezoid.

3)Capitate: C
Spot for C on the dorsum - Slide down for your middle fingers and feel for the first depression. Now, flex your wrist and at the same position, you are actually touching your lunate.

4)Triquetrum: Tq/Y
Spot for Tq on the dorsum - A small bone can be felt just above the styloid process of your ulna.

5) Pisiform: P
Spot for P on the palmar - A round bone below your small finger.

6) Hook of Hamate: H
It's deep! Try pressing to feel for it.


Interesting? This is what physio students do in their kinesiology class. I love it for no apparent reason. Well, you usually love something for no reason right? Is it human preference?

In our Kinesiology Class.

Me and my injuired leg in our Kine lab.

NYP Pool. A place which I deeply treasure and adore. Gonna miss it. I hope my leg can get well soon! I want to jump into the pool! Today, I waited for HJ near the poolside, trying to imprint every part of it into my memory.

Interesting Fact:
Fractures involving the carpal bones account for about 18% of hand fractures.1 The scaphoid is most commonly fractured, accounting for about 70% of carpal fractures. Next most common is the triquetrum. It is important to suspect and recognise carpal injuries as they are difficult to diagnose and can cause permanent disability if untreated. The usual mechanism of injury is high energy – a fall onto the outstretched hand or direct trauma to the wrist area. Where carpal fracture is suspected a full range of x-rays in the AP, lateral and oblique views is needed.
Adapted: http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40001243/

No comments: