Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hand - Splinting & other assistive devices class

PT Diagnosis and Management of Musculoskeletal Function Dysfunction
Making of the boxing gloves!
Boxing gloves is often used to provide firm and even compression to all parts of the hand, usually immediately after surgey or in case of acute trauma, where the hand is in acute swelling.

1.Hand should be placed in Intrinsic Plus Position. (Wrist extended,MCP flexed, IP extended)
2.Gauze or cotton ball is put between the fingers and thumb.
3.A big lump of cotton to be inserted into the palm for support.
4.Wrap with 1st layer of bandage (non-elastic), making sure it crosses the 1st web-space as shown! ^^

Making of boxing gloves II

My Masterpiece on Yoyo!
1st ever Boxing Gloves made in my life.

YoYo!
I told her to show the power of my gloves!


Resting Splint for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome patients

In hospital, these splints are usually made by the Occupational therapists but our school is teaching us to prepare us for setting up our own clinic! :)

The pictures are quite explanatory ya!
1-2.Design the splint on paper and then trace out the paper pattern onto the orthoplast sheet.
3-4.Preheat the orthoplast sheet to 72-77 Degree Celsius before cutting!

To speed up our process, we actually turn the temperature up to 200 degree celsius, steam filled the room and my partner distorted the shape of my plastic. I made one really nice one though! ^^

Finally...
After much hard work! Me acting Ultraman in the splint! ^^




Gift to my favourite teacher -Sharon!

Happy Belated teacher's day! I really didn't know that 10th of September is Teacher's Day in HK!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Hiuyan!
How refreshing to find someone else on blogger.com that enjoys splinting. I didn't realise that physiotherapists also learn about various assistive devices?!?

I'm an Occupational Therapist from South Africa, and in our country it is mostly OT's that do assistive devices. The Physio's just sent their patients to us for assistive devices ;-)

So it is good to know that Physiotherapists in other countries are also taught these skills.

By the way...your boxing glove looks seriously powerful! Keep up the good splinting!

Kind Regards,
Ronél (Johannesburg, SA)

HiuYan^^ said...

HI Ronél,

This so cool to know that someone from so far away is reading my blog. ^^

Actually, as I mentioned, Hong Kong physiotherapists in public hospital also send their patients to the OT department for splinting but our school taught us the skills to prepare us for private clinics. So it's indeed pretty cool!

I am so happy to have someone so far away to praise on my boxing gloves. I am indeed very honoured!

By the way, is PTs and OTs well developed in your countries? I personally feel that physiotherapists in Asia countries do not have as much recognisation as those in the Western countries.

All the best for your work!!! ^^

Hiuyan

P.S Do you have a blog too?