Wednesday, January 30, 2008

On NYP Physiotherapy entrance score

From my Previous Comment

I'm just a passerby that stumbled onto your blog, and coincidentally I'm actually very interested in entering NYP's Physiotherapy course. What kind of grades do I actually need so that I will definitely get into the course? I only know the application requirements, and I'm very sure that ain't the requirements that'll get me into the course.

Mind replying me ASAP? :)

My reply
It is really hard to find someone in Singapore that is an enthusiast about Physiotherapy! Well, I would be more than willing to help people with the same passion as me!

A little bit about my background before I move on. Actually, I studied at NYP for four months before I dropped out and moved to Hong Kong Polytechnic Univeristy, Physiotherpy. Therefore, my advices given are based on a small sample size but I believe that it would be good enough for your information.

Getting into Physiotherapy can be based on luck if your grades are not that desirable. People with straight As or with an As often get into the course with no problems. duh. I am often very curious about how they select their students; there is a theory that the manager hand pick the student and hence it is very important that you choose a very formal picture for your application. When you ask the department about their entrance score, they often give you a very vague reply, "it depends on the intake cohort". I understand that it is very irritating for an eager student to hear that. The followings are some of scores I know of the previous cohort.

When I applied, my grades were ABB.

AAA
ACC
BBC
BBD
BCD
CCD


As for GP, it is much better that you pass it although you still have a chance to get in if you fail.

Why do I say it depends on luck? My senior got CCC and applied for physiotherapy and he get into OT. (make a comparision with the grades I mention above) Appeal if there is a need to.

It is also very important that you take notice about the enrollment letter for registration. Some of my friends who were accepted but the enrollment letter was not sent to their houses. They didn't manage to get into the course in the end.

However, you do not need to worry too much, NYP is opening up 40 more places this year if I am not wrong.

You can search more of my other posts if you want to know more about Physiotherapy.

Good luck in your application!
Be prepare of the challenge ahead! It's gonna to be tough but with interest, everything can be conquer! Believe in yourself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm also from Singapore and I'm quite interested in physiotherapy. I've got back my A level results (not good) so i'm thinking of entering nyp PT course. However, i agree that nyp's course's standard isn't as good as other countries so i'm thinking of going to Hong Kong to pursue the course.

Is the PT course in Hong Kong taught in Cantonese? I understand canto but can’t speak it well

How much is the hostel and tution fee?

Do you think there are many PT job opportunities in Hong Kong?

Is PT course very difficult? With a lot of memorization? Cos I heard that it’s as difficult as medical course.

Is it very physical demanding? (I'm a female who is too thin)

Is it very difficult to get in the course?

Do you have to go for an interview to get into the course?

What are the minimum requirements to get into the course?

Is it possible to study physio nyp diploma first and take the degree and finish it in less time? Like degree conversion(cos we have studied some subjects previously)

I’m also motivated by the job satisfaction but if the pay in Singapore is so much lower than Hong kong … sign…

I hope that you will answer as soon as possible..

or u can email me and msn me at (tangwc@mail.com).. Thank you… xe xie.. terima kasih ..

I like the reflections in your blog.. u r one interesting and mature girl….

HiuYan^^ said...

After leaving this blog for a long time, I realize there is still a lot of people viewing this page and I want to leave an updated post so as to benefit all of the students all there.

I have graduated around 3 years ago from Hong Kong poly University and worked in Tan Tock Seng Hospital for 2 years and is currently doing my Masters in Physio in the UK.

If one decides to do physio in the HK, you definitely need to speak Cantonese although the lessons are taught in English. First, you have speak Cantonese to the patients during clinical placement and there are many community activities that require Cantonese for interaction. The tuition fees can be found in the international site and it should cost more than $10,000 SGD a year for international student.

Currently, there are many PT opportunities in both HK and Singapore, so no worry about finding a job once you graduated.

PT course is really demanding. Do not expect it to be easy especially for a 3 years course. There is definitely a lot of memorization and taking Biology, Physics and statistics in A levels would help you a little. You will be needed to be interested in the human body and be good at your communication skills. There are many practical exams that test you on your hand-on skills. During holidays, others might be on their summer breaks and you would need to attend the hospitals for placement. But if you enjoy helping people, it is all worth it.

Physical size is never a problem for physio. You are taught bio mechanical skills to deal with all kind of patients.

For SG, there is no interview required. For HK, you would need to attend one personally or through skype or phone.

One can study 3 years in NYP and get a conversion overseas to a degree.

Getting into the course is more difficult now. I guess three Bs is a safe line.

Actually, as I start work, the salary might not be too wide for singapore and hong kong as singapore hospital can give you up to 3-4 months of bonus per year. So that makes up for the gap.

Hope this can help people all there.

IFA said...

Yes this is helpful who thinking of becoming physiotherapist

physiotherapy singapore

Unknown said...

Chiropractic is also one of successful treatments for several kind of pain. No one can refute its effectiveness for various pains. I got this treatment from a reputed chiropractor in Mississauga for my lower back pain.